Thursday, June 26, 2014

Forgiveness: Some Thoughts on Forgiveness



Forgiveness: Some Thoughts on Forgiveness



"The God I loved forgave me of all my mistakes.  I know if God could forgive me I could forgive my mom.  I think the feeling of peace is just a bonus God gives.  A huge burden was lifted off of me.”  Biggest Loser winner, Michelle Aguilar

Faith does teach us that God has a high standard for us, a standard none of us can possibility attain.  In Romans 3:23 Paul reminds us that “…we have all sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”  The good news is that God is full of love, grace and mercy.  He will forgive us if we accept His gift of grace. If God has the grace to forgive us, we should find it in our hearts to forgive each other.  We all require God’s forgiveness.  Throughout our lives we are always making withdrawals from God’s Bank of Grace.  Just as God has generously shared His grace with us we need to extend that same grace to others when they fail us.

Christians are taught that God not only wants us to forgive others, He requires us to.  When Jesus was asked to teach His followers how to pray He gave us a prayer.  This prayer is taught to us in Matthew 6:9-13.  In 6:12 the prayer specifically addresses forgiveness with the words “Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.” 

In Matthew 6:14-15 Jesus expands on how important forgiveness is when he taught us that “If you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.”

Biggest Loser winner, Michelle Aguilar, while explaining how she was able to forgive her mother for leaving her father, provides a great explanation as to why we should forgive and the gift God gives us when we forgive.  “Unforgiveness made me sick on the inside, but when I let go, there was a peace God gave.  The God I loved forgave me of all my mistakes.  I know if God could forgive me I could forgive my mom.  I think the feeling of peace is just a bonus God gives.  A huge burden was lifted off of me.”






No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate