Sunday, June 22, 2014

Forgiveness: Saint John Paul, II



Forgiveness: Saint John Paul II


This is the second post in my short series of forgiveness.  We first discussed how President Ronald Reagan forgave his attacker and now we will discuss how Saint (then Pope) John Paul II forgave his attacker.


“ I am praying for the brother who wounded me and whom I truly forgive.”  Saint John Paul, II

Less than two months after the attempt on President Reagan’s life the world was stunned with another assassination attempt.  This time it occurred across the sea in Europe.  On May 13, 1981 gun shots again rung out, this time not far from St. Peter’s Square at the Vatican.  An attempt was made on the life of the beloved Pope, now Saint John Paul II.

A lone gunman fired shots at Saint John Paul, II causing life threatening injuries to the Pontiff. Many thought he would not live.

On May 18, 1981, five days after the shooting Saint John Paul, II said in a taped message to the faithful “I am praying for the brother who wounded me and whom I truly forgive.”

In 1983, the Saint met with his shooter in prison and kept in touch with his family, meeting with the shooter’s mother in 1987 and his brother ten years later.  His shooter was pardoned by the Italian President in 2001 at the Pope’s request.

We must remember that forgiveness is a tenant of the Christian faith and one that we should follow faithfully.   In my next post we will discuss how the Amish community forgave the attacker of their children after the Nickle Mines tragedy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate